More than likely your doctor has never prescribed for you a round of acupuncture. Even today, alternative treatments are often overlooked or ignored by the standard healthcare profession. Often this is usually because doctors are not aware of the acupuncture benefits and the scientific findings that show that these treatments can actually be effective alternatives to medications.
A study gathered information from 18,000 different people who participated in different studies that examined the effectiveness of acupuncture and discovered that it is a good treatment for chronic pain especially and it was recommended that doctors should start prescribing it for arthritis and other chronic ailments people suffer. Doctors should take the acupuncture benefits seriously the studies have shown.
There are six different acupuncture benefits that were scientifically studied that doctors should be aware of that will help their patients:
- Eases back pain. By using acupuncture will help to relieve a patient from chronic back pain and this has been well documented in the scientific world. This is said to be the main reason for patients to visit an acupuncturist. Even those who were given simulated acupuncture without the use of needles saw a 15% improvement in their pain over the taking of medications or seeing a chiropractor.
- Helps to boost the effectiveness of pharmaceuticals. A study in China found that a low dose of Prozac that is combined with acupuncture was as effective at lowering anxiety in patients that were being treated for depression as a full dose of the medication only. This means that the dose of medication can lowered by adding acupuncture to their treatment.
- Helps to sooth burning in the stomach. It was discovered that acupuncture helped to alleviate heartburn and indigestion in pregnant women.
- Can counteract the effects of radiation. Those patients suffering from cancer and undergoing radiation will more than likely suffer a variety of different side effects. It has been discovered that acupuncture can have some effect on the perception of how bad the effects can be especially the nausea and dry mouth that is common with radiation treatment. The American Cancer Society reported that those who received radiation and acupuncture did have fewer negative side effects from the radiation.
- Can help dull persistent headaches. There were 22 studies that found that acupuncture can help to prevent tension headaches and migraines from becoming huge problems and can make them far less painful.
- Obesity can be helped as well. Although there is not a lot of documentation on this, there is enough that gives some evidence that acupuncture could be a good and effective weight loss treatment.
So it is possible that a few needles from acupuncture could be what helps people overcome a lot of things that affect them negatively. An open mind is all that is needed. Even if it doesn't work for someone, it will not make matters worse.